Covered Pearl by Roheemot Asake


*COVERED PEARL*

Here I come again,
To tell you what I *gain*,
Despite your hot disdain
I really don't feel the *pain*!

I have been promised the reward,
For keeping my *beauty* inward.
For you, it may seem backward,
Its simply what pushes me *forward*(my hijab).

I feel choosing this day is right.
Because I'm gonna talk to you about my *right*.
Only if you'd sharpen your sight,
You'll know I don't deserve these plights.

It is my right to be *free*
And I care *less* about your plea.
If you choose to be outside the cover,
Then its my right to be *shielded* by that cover.

You have shown every form of repudiation.
But I tell you, what matters is my *reputation*.
Even if I have to employ repetition
To let it sink that the *injunction* has an interpretation.

You say there's backwardness in the things I do.
I guess you've never seen the *darkness* that surrounds you.
It's not until I have a boo,
Before I look like someone who's read a book.

You know? I care less about your *thoughts*.
Because it seem like y'all were bought.
Of course, by the civilization that was *brought*.
Listen, this is all about what the noble Prophet (saw) *taught*.

Your reaction towards my hijab has been *invidious*.
But I tell you, I've never felt *ridiculous*.
The way it projects me is *miraculous*.
If anything, it's absolutely *propitious*.
Sorry, if you think its superfluous.

Its my *hijab* and it shall remain exactly.
It qualifies my *modesty* perfectly.
Its my veil of *honour*,
My identification of *distinction*.
My *symbol* of obedience.

Roheemot Asake
©2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is in the Garden by Mahi Adedare

If cry.. .....A poem by Mahi Adedare

TEMIDIRE ALABI: THE SOCIETY AND TRIBAL MARKS -- By Yusuf Balogun Gemini.